Sunday, April 21, 2013

"Sanctuary" by Jess Coffman


I wrote this poem around this time last year, on a night that my boyfriend was working and I had our room to myself. I was sitting by the open window, with candles and incense burning, drinking coffee and feeling so safe. I had recently moved in with my boyfriend and I think this night was the first night that I felt settled in this new space. I was really relieved to have found a perfect little space to write and be myself. 


Sanctuary

I finally found a place to rest my weary gypsy bones.
I nestle in my earthy chair as the wind whistles spring tones.

The air is sweetened with sunflowers and I breath it in so calm.
Flecks of coffee on my lips like a bitter lip balm.

My heartbeat is rather slow as I close my eyes and pray,
That this sanctuary will remain even though I cannot stay.

My tiny violets stretch to the sun within their tiny home.
They remind me to seek comfort in the sun when I roam.

This quiet corner will be waiting patiently for my return,
As sure as the sun will set, and the yellow candles burn.

Though I realize I must create a space for peace with every travel,
A simple safe haven to be myself, and let my thoughts unravel.



No comments:

Post a Comment