Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Quotes from "The Untethered Soul"

I wanted to share a quote from the book I am reading right now called "The Untethered Soul" by Michael A. Singer. This purpose of the book is help people become aware of their true Self and attain freedom from their thoughts and emotional blocks that restrict them from living more peaceful lives. I happen to love books that are centered around personal or spiritual growth such as "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz or "The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield. Though Singer strives to achieve essentially the same types of freedoms that the other books do, there is more of an Eastern influence in his approach that is both confusing and exciting to me at the same time. There are so many pieces of the book that I want to share, but here is a bit for today.

"A thought or emotion emerges, you notice it, and it passes by because you allow it to. This technique of freeing yourself is done with the understanding that thoughts and emotions are just objects of consciousness. When you see your heart start getting anxious, you are obviously aware of this experience. But who is aware? It is the consciousness, the indwelling being, the Soul, the Self. It is the seer, the one who sees. The changes you experience in your inner energy flow are simply objects of this consciousness. If you want to be fee, then every time you feel any change in the energy flow, relax behind it. Don't fight with it, don't try to change it, and don't judge it. Don't say, 'Oh, I can't believe I'm still feeling this. I promised myself I wouldn't think about that car anymore.' Don't do that; you'll just end up going with the guilt thoughts instead of the car thoughts. You have to let them all go. "

- Michael A. Singer

No comments:

Post a Comment