Friday, April 26, 2013

"B-Minus Average" a poem by Jess Coffman

The "B+" on my "True Happiness" Test that I got today, make me think of a poem I wrote several years ago called "B-minus Average." At that point in my life I was blocked creatively and romantically and couldn't imagine getting anything in life that I wanted. 


B minus average

a B minus average is how I feel each day,
Not the best, not the worst, just making it okay.
And everyday I wake up with the will to be an A,
But sometime after coffee my ambition fades away.

I'm twenty-five, and most do say, 
"stop stressing out you'll find your way.
You've had some wins and in little time,
you'll change the world through rhythms and rhyme."

But all I see are others who, are doing what I want to do.
They're all nineteen and so far ahead,
It makes me just want to stay in bed.

But my greatest fear is taking a shot, 
Working hard and risking a lot.
To find I'm just an average girl, 
Who gave this singing thing a whirl.
Who never "had it" after all,  
Who never broke the rejection wall.
Never proved better than the rest, 
Never proved I was the best.

Years later my belly is out to my feet,
Life is predictable, peaceful and sweet.
Yet there is a pulling at my chest, 
To abandon my reality and leave my nest.
To take stupid chances like never before,
When I was scared to even open the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment