Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Brownies on the Moon


I wrote this poem while I was living and working in St. George, Utah last summer. There was a cute little center called Ancestors Square in the Downtown area of St. George, that had a tiny sweets shop within it that originally was the Jail House of the town. The sweets shop unfortunately closed down last summer. Though before it did, I went there on a blazing hot day and got a flavor of ice cream called "Brownies on the Moon." I walked over to this cute little park on Main Street, where there were several water fountains that provided great fun and relief from the heat to the local families. There was this geyser fountain that would shoot out of the ground at unexpected times and the kids would laugh and have such a blast in the water. I would go to that park, watch the happy families and write.  I always secretly wanted to play in the fountain, but not wanting to be that weird adult frolicking in the water by myself, I never did. When my silly Dad came to visit, I told him how I had been desperately wanting to play in the geyser fountain. He immediately handed his iphone to a willing stranger mom, and ran through the geyser fountain fully clothed. I excitedly followed and was thrilled. It is that kind of simple joy of eating ice cream on a hot day and spontaneously getting soaking wet with your Dad that inspired this poem. 

Brownies on the Moon
Tiptoeing quickly on the hot ground,
Ready to let out a joyous sound.

Playing free under the scorching sun,
Fickle fountain drenching everyone.

Holding hands and running for cover,
With new excitements to discover.

This summer day could not be better.
The more the fun, the more the wetter.

If you splash your mom, she might get mad.
But soon enough she’ll be glad you had.

And if you’re good she just might sweet you,
To a double chocolate ice cream treat too.

So love the day and hug your brother.
Live for this day and not another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment