Thursday, June 13, 2013

"Sometimes" A poem by Jess Coffman

Sometimes

Sometimes, it is so hard for me to forgive you.
Sometimes, forgiving feels like I'm saying that I approve of the hurt that you have caused me.
Sometimes, after I forgive, my pain still lingers and turns into other emotions.
Sometimes, it feels like I can't bring up my hurt feelings anymore after I have forgiven you.
Sometimes, the pain fades, but the memory of that pain can't be erased.
Sometimes, I feel like I am nagging, if I tell you that you have hurt me again.
Sometimes, I feel that forgiveness is letting you off  the hook, when you don't really deserve it.
Sometimes, you don't make a deliberate attempt to right your wrongdoing clearly to me.
Sometimes, I make excuses for you.
Sometimes, I'm afraid that I have forgiven you for something that you might hurt me with again.
Sometimes, forgiving you, makes me feel that I have lost and you have won.
Sometimes, I feel that forgiveness is weakness.


"Forgiveness gives us the capacity to make a new start.. And forgiveness is the grace by which you enable the other person to get up, and get up with dignity, to begin anew..." - Desmond Tutu

Helpful Vocab. 

Grace (n.) - 1. courteous goodwill
                    2. the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the       bestowal of blessings  

Synonyms - 2. courtesy, decency, respect, manners, 
                    3. favor, approval, regard, acceptance 

Dignity (n.) - 1. the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect
                      3. A sense of pride in oneself; self-respect

Synonyms - gravity, self-worth, self-esteem, pride 

No comments:

Post a Comment