Wednesday, June 19, 2013

"A Prayer to My Muse" a poem by Jess Coffman

This morning, I was cleaning my room and thinking of one of my best friends. I began to say a few lines rhythmically in my head, and instantly I was overwhelmed with the need to write them down. I think that my Muse was hanging out this morning and gave me that  little nudge of inspiration. This might be a little wacky for some of you, but I believe that I have a creative Guardian Angel or Muse that helps guide me in my creative endeavors. The song that I wrote this morning, was something I was believe I was meant to write, to bring happiness and to tell a very important story. I know this is a little mystical, but I'll explain how I came to believe in my Muse. 

Elizabeth Gilbert, the author of "Eat, Pray, Love," kind-of opened me up to the idea of there being a "creative genius" outside of ourselves, that shows up to offer inspiration and help us with our creative projects. I learned about this idea years ago from her Ted Talk entitled "Your Elusive Creative Genius," which I have provided the link to below. It is about 20 minutes long, but her words have been so essential in my creative process. 

I was exposed to the idea of the "Muse," which is essentially the same idea as Gilbert's "creative genius." in a book called "The War of Art" by Stephen Pressfield. My immensely talented singer/songwriter friend Andy Grammer told me to read this book. It proved to be one of the best books I have ever read regarding grit, hard-work and creativity. I read it last summer and it is what inspired me to write, re-write and finish almost of the poems and songs that I am now posting on this blog. Before writing a single word, I would sit down with my pen in hand and say a prayer to my Muse asking for direction and inspiration with each poem. One day, I wrote down one of those a prayers...and here it is. 


A Prayer to My Muse

I come to you with extended palms
And a willing, unlocked chest.
I surrender my pride at your feet,
With the hope, that I'll be blessed.

No figment of the past shall invade,
To distract me from your dream.
Faith in your existence, eases my mind,
I'm strong with you on my team. 

Please reveal to me your daily truth,
That humanity must know.
Overwhelm me with finality,
Or forgiveness of a foe. 

I will follow every crafted task,
With my best, in mind and pen.
I'll honor you with each word I write,
In the hope you come again.






Elizabeth Gilbert's Ted Talk: Your Elusive Creative Genius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86x-u-tz0MA

No comments:

Post a Comment