Monday, June 3, 2013

"Don't Follow the Sheep" A poem by Jess Coffman


Happy June 3rd!

Today is my Dad's 55th birthday making him officially a senior citizen! Though you would never guess it from his comedic  "Zumba Dad Killin' It" video on Youtube below: 


If you took the 37 seconds to watch that video like 286 people have before you, you would conclude that this Dad is probably a blast. And you would be right. He is a very passionate, wacky, hard-working, loyal, sometimes outrageous  Dad, who I love very much. 

We weren't always the best of friends when I was a kid. It was stressful in my house growing up, and passion has many different definitions. Meaning, that he could feel passionate about making us crack-up and successfully do so, or work himself into a fit of angry passion. But as we have both gotten older our relationship has flourished and I now call him with joys, fears, advice and good conversation. Though we do differ greatly on so many social issues, we are learning to respect each other's views. He is not only my Dad, but actually my best straight guy friend too :) 

This poem is inspired directly from some unique advice that he has given me in my adult years. He always says "Don't follow the sheep," meaning don't be like everyone else. He says that wherever the "sheep" are going, go in the complete opposite direction. He says to " put exactly what you want out into the universe" and if I believe in the power of the universe and God, I will get it. 

On his birthday, I dedicate this poem to my Dad. 

Don’t Follow the Sheep
A man who I love, once said to me… 
“Do yourself a favor... 
Don’t follow the sheep.
If the sheep go North…go East, South or West.
Go alone, Find your own,  to become your personal best.”

Seek an Unknown path, letting Fear point the way.
He'll majestically lead you forward each day. 
Dismiss those who lovingly cry out with doubt,
If you steer from within, you won't be without. 



I also wanted to include this beautiful quote that I heard today. 


"Coming true is not the only purpose of a dream, it's most important purpose is to get us in touch with where dreams come from, where passion comes from, where happiness comes from. Even a shattered dream can do that for you." 
- Lisa Bu 


Watch Lisa Bu's short and sweet Ted Talk about the power of books to uncover dreams. 


Thanks for reading and have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment