Tuesday, June 25, 2013

"A Treasury of Poems" and New Goals!

Last summer when I was praying to My Muse and writing daily poems, I came across a book called "A Treasury of Poems: A Collection of the World's Most Famous and Familiar Verse." I discovered many new favorite poems from this giant anthology of over 400 poems, but I certainly have not read the whole thing. I was feeling a bit insecure the other day that I call myself a poet, and yet I cannot recite my favorite poem, nor do I have a favorite poet. The truth is, I didn't study poetry in school. I did study Lyric Writing from Barry Manilow's life-long writing parter, the hilariously candid and generous Marty Panzer. But truly, I have so much to learn and dissect from the great poets relating to form, figurative language, communication and creativity.

My goal is to study this book as I would if I were taking a poetry class for a semester in college. So for the next 16 weeks, this being week one, I will read between 25 and 30 poems per week. I am going to choose my very favorite poems to post on this blog, I will also include a bit of information about the poet. Perhaps once this study is done, I will have some of my favorite poems memorized and will have an idea of who my favorite poet is.

I hope you will all help to keep me accountable for my goal!

Thanks!

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment