Wednesday, September 21, 2016

"The Balm That Soothes My Soul," a poem by Melissa Bingham

I'm feeling so jumpy today

Like I can’t stay in my skin
Not sure what it’s all about
Other than a sense of urgency
Things I want to do
Things I have to do
Things I’m called to do
Focus
Get organized
Just do it
Everyone wants a piece of me
I want a piece of me
I want all of the pieces of me
The ones that are scattered in the wind
The ones that I gave away
The ones that some one took from me
The ones I forgot I had
This body doesn’t feel like home
It feels strange, achy, fat, tired
What happened to me
It twitches with nerves
It jumps from thing to thing
It can’t seem to focus on anything
Just accomplish one task
Just focus on one thing
But… but… but…
Sit still
Be still
Listen
Listen
Listen
Only move when you are still
Be before you do
Really, really be…
Not just that mediation
You check off your list each morning
Actually establish yourself in being
First
The nerves are calming
The words pour forth
They are the balm
That soothes my soul
To write is to breathe
Stop worrying about form
Just put the word on the page
A keyboard or a pen
A journal or a screen
It doesn’t matter
Just get them out
There are so many
That want to be free
Your words
My words
Our words
Stop reading
Stop seeking
Listen and write
Listen and write
Listen and write
The answers
Are within
In the stillness
In the silence
In you
Listen and write
Not for them
But for you
Writing is the balm
That soothes my soul
Deep breath
The nerves are still
And so it begins
Again
MELISSA BINGHAM 
"Writing is my soul food.  Not writing press releases or marketing pitches or thank you notes or e-mails, it's writing from my soul through poetry, scenes and stories.  I ache when I don't do it.  I hear stanzas and dialogue in my head all day long (often next to lyrics of my favorite musicals).  When I read or hear a great piece of writing, my heart longs to pen words with such power to stir someone's soul.  (Actually, I truly just want to honor my own Soul by expressing her beautiful, radiance and realness through prose and it's impact on others is just a lovely bonus gift.) I have to feed my soul."
I had the distinct privilege of meeting Melissa recently at her home. She was offering a free, guided group meditation, that I was invited to, and I showed up. Not only was she absolutely delightful, the way that she led the meditation, was my very favorite style. She offered an intention first, then we went around our small group, and shared what we were planning to focus on specifically. After breathing, and taking a moment to giggle at the sound of a deer bathing in the creek behind her house, she offered a guided visualization. Then she minded the time and allowed us to meditate in silence. I had a truly beautiful experience. 
This week, I asked Melissa if she had any recorded meditations that I could purchase, but she instead gave me a few for free. She is planning to launch a podcast which will be a combination of interviews and meditations, so stay tuned for that in November. I would also really encourage you to go to her website. Melissa offers incredible ways to help you connect with her, your own spiritual path, and others who are on the same journey. The poem and excerpt above was written in a blog post that Melissa wrote this month entitled "What Soothes Your Soul." In addition to her blog, she has a daily intention focused Facebook group you can learn about and join, she does one-on-one counseling sessions, she does a weekly prayer call, she leads group mediations and she offers classes. 

You can find all of the above information at Melissa's website:

Peace, Silence and Breath,
Your Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment