Monday, September 19, 2016

"Spring Rain," a poem by Stephanie Weyand

(Click on the link, and read "Spring Rain" as you listen.)


As delicate as a Bolshoi ballet, I contemplate the raindrops as they dance across the quivering water. Each one giving all their heart for the performance of one beautiful piece. Those same droplets softly dabble on my skin, a warm reminder of earth's magnificent creation.

I close my eyes to listen to the chorus and revel in the breeze that caresses my cheek.  I take a deep breath and let the world surround me just this once in a swaddling of wonder and existence.

I can hear the trees accepting this display of nature, the precipitation hitting each leaf like a spectator clapping gently in awe. They too are swayed by my friend the wind, joining in the exquisite dance. 

Perfect shards of sunlight peek through clouds as spotlights illuminating each majestical movement of this rare choreography. Always adding a note of joy when least expected. 

The elements play with each other like children playing tag. Sporadically glistening on its own then suddenly throwing prisms of color all over the place as the gentle wind playfully pushes the moisture coated foliage into and out of the sun's rays.  

Mother nature has made the most beautiful composition, it's almost as if very few are invited to take part. Being honored with a secret rendition, I take one last glimpse of the beauty surrounding me before continuing on my way. 

STEPHANIE WEYAND

 "I am very interested in classical music. More specifically a huge fan of Chopin. The morning I wrote this, I was listening to Chopin's nocturne Opus 9 #2.  It was a very rainy dusky morning, and I intently watched while it slowly stopped and the sun started to emerge.
 I just noticed how when we really take time to break things down how beautiful things are, even if most people think them dismal."

I am honored to call this beautiful woman and poet, Stephanie Weyand, my family member. We only just met this past spring when I went to Pittsburgh to meet many of my east coast Italian family members, for the first time. I was loved immediately, by this family that I barely knew. And I loved them immediately. Over potato salad and homemade strawberry wine, Stephanie and I discussed music and poetry. (By the way, Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 is my very favorite Chopin piece, so that is awesome too.) We discussed how we are able to get into "the flow," and how gorgeous beauty will reveal itself within nature and people. We agreed that when that happens, we have to respond by writing it down. Truthfully, she sent me this poem months ago, and I am just now getting it out on my blog. I am so honored to be connected to a woman who sees beauty in the simplicity. I am thrilled to be able to celebrate her work. Thank-you Stephanie for your perspective and bravery. 

Peace, Rain and Chopin,

Your Jess 

No comments:

Post a Comment