Wednesday, May 22, 2013

"Seafaring Mama" a poem by Jess Coffman


This poem is for everyone, but I am dedicating it especially to those who have spent many months of their life working on a cruise ship. The day that I wrote this poem, I was sitting all the way forward on Deck 13, while we were docked in Nassau, Bahamas. Nassau is known for the lavish resort Atlantis, but pretty much that is it. A friend of mine wittingly coined it "Nasshole." But I had some pretty good times there. Senior Frog's was trashy, but I had a great time eating nachos and shaking my ass there once. I got a little tipsy one day on the beach and surprised myself and my friends by saying that I thought I would marry Billy one day. And I will never forget the long-awaited day that Billy finally came with me to the Pirate Museum. 

Anyway, this particular day I was not dancing, drinking or pirating, I was simply contemplating life and looking to the sky for comfort. I am from Los Angeles, so the sun is an old faithful friend of mine. She gives me Vitamin D, a solid tan and often times illuminates beauty along my path. This day, I was feeling a bit "lost at sea," because my ship contract was about to end and I was looking ahead to the unknown future with fear. 


This is a photo of the beautiful lighthouse that always welcomed us into the port of Nassau. I could see this perfectly from my seat while writing this poem. 

Seafaring Mama


Oh sun and sky make me new
Touch my skin and make me glow.
For I am small and feeling blue,
My path on land I do not know.

But I can trust the sun and sky
Cause everyday you kiss my hair.
And even when the clouds roll by
You greet me with a gentle stare.

So everyday I’ll wake and write
Of  what you reveal to me.
Today may be a lover’s fight,
Tomorrow the peaceful sea.

Each day I’ll make a tiny change
Toward art that fills my being,
And soon I will have rearranged
And sent my false fears fleeing.

Oh sun and sky I cannot wait
To walk with faith toward freedom.
I’ll gather those in a bluesy state,
And with a loving heart I’ll lead ‘em.


No comments:

Post a Comment