Friday, October 11, 2013

"Prayer for a Faultless Friday" a poem by Jess Coffman



Prayer for a Faultless Friday

Shine down on me Lord,
Hold me in your hands,
Cradle me in love,
Show me your demands.

My will is fatigued
I’m disappointed,
I don’t speak my thoughts.
I feel disjointed.

Make me unafraid
Let my words be kind,
Help me speak wisely,
With mercy in mind.

Let my song be sweet,
Help me not forget,
Every callous refrain,
Is a crime I’ll regret.

JESS COFFMAN

Hello!


I thought that it would be quite apropos to post this poem today,  because it is after all a Friday. But honestly, this poem tells of a daily struggle of mine. As much as I try my best to start the day off with a positive attitude, by the end of most days, I'm a pushy, grumbling New Yorker just like everyone else. I do think that the cramped and sometimes sticky subway trains have a lot to do with that. But in LA, where each person has space and control over the air temperature in their own vehicle, this frustration exists too, and is referred to as "road rage."

Though I do think that travel in it of itself can be annoying, in any major city. The problem and solution, really lies in how you emotionally handle your frustration. Most of the time I am reasonable and have a controlled grip on the way that I handle my frustration. But honestly, I have been known to slam doors or throw something, in those moments of extreme impatience. I am completely aware that this is called "throwing a temper tantrum." I do not however, throw tantrums like that when other people are around, it is always when I am alone and feel powerless. These outbursts of impatience also come out of my mouth. I will say something negative about another person or complain because I think it will make me feel better, but it never does. The negativity simply spreads.

This poem is about "Starting with the Man in the Mirror," as Michael Jackson once sang. It is about recognizing that I do not always behave lovingly, and praying for positivity to guide me in my day. If God is good, and we are all reflections of God, why is it so hard to do the right thing sometimes? Why is it so hard for me to live by my own standard of goodness? I don't know the answer to that question. But I do know that behavior is contagious, and it my daily goal to focus on my own positive behavior and actions. Hopefully this will inspire others, and it will eventually come back for me, when I am being shitty in life and need a positive reminder. It is like M.J. said, "If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change."




Have a blast tonight!

Jess



No comments:

Post a Comment