Sunday, October 20, 2013

"Daniel Webster: The Gatekeeper" a poem by Jess Coffman

I fell into the Flow today,
Into the quiet and majestic.
It's mystical and collective,
And it selected me to stay.

On a day most unsuspecting,
I moseyed from chaotic to calm.
In Strawberry Fields of September,
I write to remember, blessed connecting.

I stopped my step and turned around,
As if someone had called out my name.
And sure enough Daniel Webster stood,
Speaking as eloquently as he could,
Though never making a sound.

I looked upon his copper face,
Framed by billowy, playful clouds,
In the bluest sky where the airplanes fly,
And teal balloons die in space.

All at once, hundreds of voices hushed,
As a far away cello swelled,
And scored the glorious improvisation, 
Of natural beauty in perfect collaboration,
As my soul became whole and flushed. 

I could hear the giggles of the grass,
And the hum of the mothering Moon.
My eyes were fixed, as were my feet,
As the cellist played The September Suite,
While the unknowing tourists passed.

What a stunning opportunity,
To feel as the butterfly feels!
And as summer green turns to autumn yellow,
I mellowed in the Flow of Unity.

A plump ballerina jeted in a cloud,
Right over Daniel Webster's head.
And he gave me a wink,
As the world began to shrink,
And the voices became loud, from the crowd.

The giggling grasses waved goodbye,
And the gentle sun hugged me warm.
I stood transformed in just one hour,
Summoned by the power of the sky.

I came away renewed and ablaze,
And I'll never be lonely or poor.
For I have been One with the Stone and the Sun,
I will run through life roused and amazed.  

Friends!

It has taken me so long to finish this poem! I am relieved, though slightly unsatisfied, because these words don't really capture the beauty of my experience. I found this poem to be so hard, partly because of the rhyme scheme. But it also proved challenging because I was trying to adequately explain what is happening inside my head, and how my senses are heightened when I am inspired.  

On a Saturday, about a month ago, I found myself walking in the Strawberry Fields portion of Central Park. It was absolutely beautiful, fall was just beginning to show itself in the turning leaves and chilly air. I stopped to look at this giant statue of Daniel Webster, and I noticed the gorgeous sound of a nearby cello. All of a sudden, my senses were heightened and diminished in different ways that I have never experienced before, and I could see the purest beauty in everything around me. The words that came into my head to make sense of this feeling, was that I somehow was invited into the flow of collective energy. At one point in my journal I wrote that I was in the "Flow at the Center of Spirit and Cognition." I felt a complete natural high, where all of the colors where brighter and every sound was silent except for that beautiful cello scoring the scene.

I call this poem "Daniel Webster: The Gatekeeper," because it was precisely at the moment that I looked up at his statue, that I became overwhelmingly inspired. It was almost as if Daniel Webster protects the portal in which one can enter Flow of the Universe. Ha! Either I had fortuitously been at the right place at the right time, or it was destined. I have attached a picture of the statue below, and was absolutely shocked at the epitaph on the pedestal. On the day that I wrote this poem, I didn't even notice the epitaph, though it perfectly describes my connection with nature that day. It says,

"Liberty and Union
Now and Forever
One and Inseparable"

Now I am sure that the statue of Daniel Webster is the Gatekeeper into the Flow of the Universe! I'm sure this sounds wacky to some people, and I totally get it. I don't think anyone could understand an experience like this, until they have one.

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment