Sunday, October 13, 2013

"New Leaf" a poem by Jess Coffman

 
New Leaf

I love when it rains.
I love how nature smells.
I breathe in the Living,
And everything relaxes.

Every color stands out unexpectedly,
Without the sun to make me squint.
People tend to hide away,
And I'm glad to be alone.

Every rainfall is precious,
For it's what sustains life.
When it gathers in a puddle,
A new perspective is reflected.

The tranquil sound revives me,
Every trickle, drip and plop.
I'm giddy when a bubble appears,
And I live for when they pop.

I'm wide-eyed with wonder,
As the droplets play the trees,
Like the giant hand of God,
Is conducting "The Reverie of the Leaves."

This is my favorite kind of day,
When the silent leaves fall,
When the trees are quenched and fragrant,
When God splashes me "Hello."

JESS COFFMAN

Hello Friends!

I wrote "New Leaf" last week when I was enjoying a full day off with nothing scheduled. Aren't those days amazing? I ended up finding lots of things to keep myself busy indoors that day, including baking homemade granola cereal and cooking meatballs. But by 3pm, I was getting a touch of cabin fever and decided to go for a walk to Fort Tryon Park. Fort Tryon is a lovely park in Upper Manhattan, that has a stunning view of the George Washington Bridge stretching over the Hudson River. 

It was raining really hard that day, and I am always surprised how east coasters shy away from inclement weather. But because of this, the park was unusually empty. I walked around taking in the wet beauty all around me, but then I became very aware of the fact that I was the only person wandering around. I decided to to head New Leaf,  a chic-rustic restaurant hidden within the park, for sanctuary and hot tea. Unfortunately New Leaf is closed on Mondays, but I had my mind set on going there to write. So, I shrugged it off, sat down on the dry stone steps that lead to New Leaf's front entrance, and began writing.

"New Leaf" is really a free write of the sensory experience that I was having, while taking in the rain that day. I know that you can relate, and I thoroughly hope that you enjoy this poem. 

Best,

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment