Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Philadelphia Magic Gardens!



On Friday, I was called off of work and was looking for something fulfilling to do, when I came across an email from the Philadelphia Magic Gardens. I discovered this amazing creative compound on a walking exploration I was doing of my new city, about 6 months ago. Mind-blowingly talented artist, Isaiah Zagar is a mosaic muralist who alongside his wife Julia, has dedicated his life to grand public art. He was born in Philly, raised in Brooklyn, which immediately I think creates a pretty bad ass and creative east coaster. He acquired a B.F.A. in Painting and Graphics from the Pratt Institute in New York City, travelled the world creating and learning and with wife Julia, spent 3 years in Peru serving in the Peace Corps. After many world-wide accolades and completed commissioned pieces, the  creative couple settled in Philadelphia with a mission to share their world discoveries of art and life with this city of cheesesteaks and Phillies fans. What they created is jaw-dropping. As you walk along South street heading toward Old City, your curiosity is tantalized as your eye is drawn to the light-catching mirrored mosaics that are scattered along the sides of churches, Jamaican restaurants and run down buildings. The gorgeous mosaics light up the city and beckon you to follow. You do of course follow because the unique beauty is unlike anything else you have seen in Philly. After about 7 blocks, your curiosity peaked, you stand at the gates of The Philadelphia Magic Gardens and you can't believe your eyes. Handmade mirror and tile mosaics, bicycle wheels, colored glass bottles, toys and trash create a maze of sculpture that is so inspiring and satisfying, you can't wait to be visually overwhelmed. In addition to the half block outside sculpture garden, there is also an inside gallery that houses Zagar's smaller pieces and also the works of other artists within a similar medium. On Friday, I was fortunate enough to be able to see the opening night of an installation called Imaginings From Nature by local artist Katia McGuirk. I was smitten with her whimsical work, I have a weird thing for bats, so I was hooked immediately when I saw them. I also loved her sexy smoking toad, and her sparkling peacock sculpture of course. Here are some photos of Katia McGuirk's work that I founds most amazing. I also came across this lovely quote from one of Katia's peers explaining his relationship with clay:

"Clay moves at every slightest touch. It moves in the sun, in the air, in the fire, till you put the fire out. Let it move. Clay lives." - Henry Chapman Mercer




If you ever come to Philly, you have to check this place out! Here are a few pictures that I took when Billy and I went in the winter. Oddly enough, my sister who had never heard of this place before, saw it online and bought me a year-long pass for Christmas. Thanks Kaleigh!




Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment