Monday, July 8, 2013

"The Voice of God" a poem by Louis I. Newman and "Vessel" a poem by Jess Coffman

The Voice of God

I sought to hear the voice of God,

    And climbed the topmost steeple.
But God declared: "Go down again,
    I dwell among the people."

LOUIS I. NEWMAN



I read "The Voice of God" last week and I loved it instantly. I love the simplicity and humility of the theme, and it happens to be something that I believe wholeheartedly. I believe that we all have the ability to connect with our Creator, through other people in our lives. Those people whether stranger or friend, act as reflections of our Creator all of the time. There are definitely times in my life when I recognized someone else choosing a kinder,  more helpful, more patient or more understanding choice than my own, and felt like I was being shown a more Godly path. Of course, there are exact opposite scenarios to the ones that I am exploring, but I would like to simply focus on the good for today. It is this idea of each of us being a vessel for our Creator's goodness, that has caused me to write the following poem.


Vessel

Make of me a Vessel, for Goodness and Godness,
To illuminate life’s shadows, and celebrate its Oddness.

I patiently wait with my pen on the page,
For a drop of your wisdom, electricity or rage.

Without fight, I will swallow each ounce of Revelation.
I’ll be thankful for every, slight, daily Transformation.

And with the utmost effort to be a funnel for your Creation,
I hope to bring to you a Counter-Culture Congregation:

A crowd who worships Art and consequently the Most High.
For it is God who began the creative discourse,
And God who urges our Unique Reply.

JESS COFFMAN

No comments:

Post a Comment