Wednesday, July 3, 2013

"Distant Love" a poem by Jess Coffman


I wrote this poem last summer when my boyfriend and I were struggling while dating long distance, though I am totally an advocate of loving long distance if it means getting a chance to pursue your personal goals. Some may see that as a selfish thing, but I personally think of it as an investment for the future. I know that if I don't go where my career takes me at this point in my life before marriage and children happen, I will not be fulfilled. I think that in that scenario,  it would be easy to blame the people in my life that I felt, held me back. Actually from the very beginning of our relationship, we agreed to remain loyal to each other regardless of our location, and it has worked out really well. At this point about half of our relationship has been apart and though we have found ways to keep things romantic while away, it is still really challenging at times. I wrote this poem as a means to comfort myself, it is meant to be a dialog between the lovers.



Distant Love

Distant Love,
Come to me,
So we can make a memory.
I need your neck to bury in.
I need your touch to enliven my skin.

            Distant Love,
            Hurry Home,
            Let the brooks and buffalo roam.
            I need your love to wrap me tight.
            I need your laugh to enliven tonight.

Distant Love,
I must stay.
We cannot weep for Yesterday.
My journey’s end is coming fast,
Then we can have our adventure at last.

Distant Love,
I will wait.  
And never will I Hesitate.
Today’s gift is once and gone.
Your honeyed words ease, the trudging beyond.


No comments:

Post a Comment