Friday, July 25, 2014

"Little Present Poem" a poem by Jess Coffman

Sun reaching for my face,
Ants dodging with erratic pace,
Webs are glinting on the Grass,
my eyelids close with Peace.

I am alive, when I am alone,
when incessant chatter and gripes are gone,
when no one asks me what is the matter,
and I don't worry myself at all. 

I'm here for the Spiders who bite my feet,
to admire the wild Horse's mane.
I can sit with the Rocks, and stand with the Trees,
I know with certainty, we're One and the same.

I am not meant, for four white walls,
I need open space, for Present flight.
I sway to Cicadas' wrenching lull
sewing sound into the thickness.

I sit here still. not a frustrated lover, 
not future-fogged, not woman at all.
I'm just here...Being 
like the Sticks and the Leaves.
nothing barer.
nothing better.

JESS COFFMAN

Hello Friends!

This poem and these photos were conceived in an up-and-coming green community called Hampstead, within Montgomery, AL. Alice Sherman, my long-time friend and fellow performer (currently starring as "Mary Poppins" in our production) told me of a great restaurant/bar called The Tipping Point, in Hampstead. Being a Malcolm Gladwell fan, and well as a huge craft beer fan, (thanks to Billy Kametz) The Tipping Point sounded like an amazing choice for a day-off brew. I drove out around dusk, which is my absolute favorite time of day, and was so excited to find this unique sustainable housing and community in Montgomery. As much as I love BBQ joints and Waffle Houses, Montgomery seems to be lacking, when it comes to independently owed, well maintained, unique and delicious cuisine. So, I was thrilled when I arrived to see that my above wish was coming true with the Tipping Point. And in the same breath, bummed, when I discovered that it was indeed closed on Mondays, and I was not able to fulfill my sustainable dreams, at least for that day.

I am actually so grateful that it was closed, because it caused me to do a little exploring around Hampstead. Right behind The Tipping Point was an unfinished gravel road, and further beyond, an adorable red barn and silo that read "Hampstead Farms." Alongside this gravel road were a couple of horses grazing. As I looked around, and crept closer to them, I realized that they must be wild. I had never seen wild horses before, it was exhilarating! Their manes were a bit tattered, further confirming that they were never brushed or confined, and I found myself reverent for their peace and freedom. I was also slightly afraid, because although they didn't block the gravel path to get to the farm,  I would have to cross them and have my back to them as I walked (or ran for my life) the lengthy road to get the the farm. I considered driving my car down the road, because then at least I would have a physical barrier to protect me from the wild horses. But it is a rental, and I was nervous that something might happen to the car due to the unfinished road, so I decided to put my body in potential danger instead!
The horses were about 50 feet away from me further up the road, though in the grass, and seemingly unaware of me at that distance. As I inched forward up the road, the dominant horse began to notice me, though continuing to graze. When I was about 20 feet away from the horses, and in direct line with them, the dominant horse, faced me and deliberately kept it's eyes on me for several minutes, while eating. I kept my eyes on him/her as well, and with loving energy stayed still. Much to my surprise,  a few minutes later, I began to walk up the road without worry that I would be surprise-trampled from behind. It wasn't until I reached the farm, that I realized what a an amazingly, unprecedented, energetic moment I had just experienced. I basically communicated peace, curiosity and patience, to which the wild horse, after careful consideration, believed me, and let me pass without fear. It was beautiful. I wouldn't recommend trying this communication in the presence of wild carnivorous animals. I think part of this experience was due to the fact that horses in general are not trying to eat humans, and because I did not attempt to touch them or invade their close personal space in anyway. But it was absolutely an experience, that connected me to my primordial side, and my instincts took over. I communicated with another animal, it was fascinating and exhilarating.

After I trespassed on the adorable farm and captured this special moment below...
I sat down on a wooden bench, facing the setting sun, and with gratitude and an open heart, wrote "Little Present Poem."

Thank-you for reading!

As always...Spread the love!

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment