Tuesday, April 11, 2017

"Prayer For A Runner," a poem by Jess Coffman

Be the Wind under his heels,
Protect him from fallibility.
Be the Strength in his bones,
Bless him with agility. 

Keep the beat of his heart,
Undoubting his ability,
Boost the strength of his Will,
In the test of his Humility. 

With every step on His trail,
Enliven his virility.
With every step of his Soul,
Deepen his Malleability.

Be the push in his gut,
A Surge in his motility.
Be the Faith in his Breath,
The Mindfulness of his mobility. 

Unite him deeply with Himself,
One with Nature's fragility.
But with wings on his feet,
Beckon him to Your Tranquility.

JESS COFFMAN






I wrote "Prayer For A Runner," the morning after I had completed a 15-mile run, as part of my marathon training, for my very first marathon! I had just gotten off of the phone with my friend, who is running the marathon with me, but training in a faraway city. We discussed how I had been completely exhausted and "hangry," after my run, and how I was completely dead to the world afterward. It took me about 3-4 hours to return a phone call or communicate with anyone. I needed to relax, and be alone in order to recuperate my body and revive my will. 

So the morning that I wrote this, I had just finished encouraging and boosting my friend before his 15 mile run for the week. I began to pray for him to have a safe and successful run, and the words began to come out in rhymes. I feel lucky when that happens, because then I'm inspired to create a piece, and be mindful for such a longer amount of time about my subject of prayer. I was able to uphold my friend with positive and creative energy while writing the poem, and now the piece, will forever honor our hard work, in preparation for this marathon.

Later that day when I went to the L.A. County Museum of Art, to see the Picasso and Diego Rivera exhibit, I was surprised that this recreated plaster left foot was on display. The original which Picasso captured on paper with charcoal and Conte crayon, was possibly Greek and was sculpted in 400-100 BCE. I was grateful that it serendipitously was the perfect image to accompany "Prayer For A Runner." 

Prayers, Will and the Open Trail, 

Your Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment