Monday, June 20, 2016

"The Bunny and The Woman," a poem by Jess Coffman

Charcoal face and charcoal ears,
With the stillness of a flower.
I was writing with forced gratitude,
And he stopped to watch me struggle.

He didn't dodge away in fear,
Just stayed a still, soothing presence,
Of a wise, sage Healer,
Clothed in fur and skin and bones.

I expected him to flee,
But after every sentence written,
I'd look up to see him watching.
Meaning I was not alone.

And when he finally scampered,
My eyes were down and focused,
Though, I made my peace in solitude,
I feared the numb settling in.

But to my surprise and pleasure,
As I walked around the corner,
He was waiting calm and silent,
As if, to hop me home.

I had an instinct to follow,
As if he'd lead me into Heaven,
Instead I sat down in the shade,
And spent a curious time with him.

He was unafraid and natural,
He even closed his eyes in slumber,
And I watched him with compassion,
As wild creatures sometimes do.

He stayed with me, a distance,
But even when a dog approached us,
I prayed for his leave and safety,
But his obedience was his bliss.

When finally left me, loving,
I wasn't dreary any longer,
I felt a hand on my face easing,
The stress of time and inner health.

And it stroked my hair saying:
"See, I'll never leave you lonely,
Take the time to see the beauty,
In the quiet moments, still.

Be still and watch creation,
Allow a little life to heal you.
Take comfort in the silvery webs
that sway in morning sun.

And listen to the bird song,
They sing songs of grace and worship,
When they glide over your body,
They'll lift your blanket of despair.

Then you'll be bare and in the summer sun.
With all you need around you,
The branches will enwrap you,
And the stones will guide your feet.

All that seems you need, is nothing,
You were meant to stop and take in,
As a healer for your generation,
Help them see the light I give."

Then he hopped away sweetly,
And without sadness or affliction,
I picked up my coffee and humble pen.
And walked emboldened, back into life.

JESS COFFMAN


Sometimes God shows up in the eyes of a bunny.
Observe each other in patience and silence.
In the revealing, there is healing.

Peace, hoping and hopping,

Your Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment