Tuesday, June 14, 2016

"A door," a poem by Jess Coffman

An unseen subway violinist,
Plays a familiar forlorn melody,
Scoring our farewell embrace. 
I’m on my tip toes reaching,
You are hunching and holding.
Our hearts slightly sunken and confused.

We treaded lightly for so many years,
And the thickness of loyalty 
Kept a door between us locked.
But I could see you,
Seeing me, through the peephole. 

I made you breakfast.
The ripe warm summer peach on our lips,
The juice, sweet and quenching
The thirst that comes from a depriving winter. 

I lit a candle for our union,
Fresh lavendar, eucalyptues and mint,
The scent imbued our senses,
Calmed the slow approaching,
And always forgottten,
But inevitable blues. 

I said goodbye without knowing,
That the door would close again,
Never to be opened again. 
That I would clothe the peep hole from the inside,
And you would approach another door.
Much more quickly than I had hoped.

It shouldn’t have been love,
But I wanted you to adore me. 
Though the shame tainted us both,
And the adoration melted from a warm and hazy pink fog,
Once again to a thick, locked door,
Never to be opened again.
But sometimes I could feel you,
Waiting silently on the other side.

JESS COFFMAN



I took this photo a few weekends ago when I had the privilege to be introduced to Dia Contemporary Art Museum in Beacon, New York. I love this piece so much created by Robert Irwin's called Excursus: Homage to the Square,³ because it was so interactive and provided me with so many metaphors about direction, choice and opportunity. It was interactive in the sense that it was essentially a huge maze and you could walk through the piece and choose your own adventure. I love contmeporary art pieces like that. I am personally most moved by modern art, and the child in me as well as the teacher of small children, always wants to interact with the art and shape it, based on the way it's shaping me in the moment. Let’s create more expansive, durable, shape-shifting art like this contemporary artists…what do you say?

Peace, a door and adoring,


Your Jess  

No comments:

Post a Comment