Monday, January 4, 2016

"What Was His Creed?" a poem by H.N. Fifer

What was his creed?
I do not know his creed, I only know
That here below, he walked the common road
And lifted many a load, lightened the task,
Brightened the day for others toiling on a weary way:
This, his only meed; I do not know his creed.

His creed? I care not what his creed;
Enough that never yielded he to greed,
But served a brother in his daily need;
Plucked many a thorn and planted many a flower;
Glorified the service of each hour;
Had faith in God, himself, and fellow-men; --
Perchance he never thought in terms of creed,
I only know he lived a life, in deed!

H.N. FIFER


creed - noun 

1. any system, doctrine, or formula of religious belief, as of a denomination

2. any system, or codification of belief or of opinion.

3. the eldest, most mysterious and my favorite character on the American Television show "The Office," played by actor Creed Bratton, ironically his character name is also "Creed Bratton"

4. 2015 follow-up film to the Rocky films, (93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes) in which "Rocky Balboa" trains "Apollo Creed's" son to be a boxer.

meed - noun - Archaic

1. a reward or recompense

I would like to dedicate this poem to my friend Brendan Flaherty, who exemplifies the man spoken about in the poem. Let me also mention that Brendan is alive, well, and being amazing. He recently got his car broken into, but not much was stolen except for some tissues and loose change. Instead of letting this situation take his spirits down, he is instead going to turn "this negative act in to a positive one and will be donating what money said person was hoping to find to a good cause, and if you [stealer] are someone in need perhaps you will indirectly benefit from it."

This inspiring act of choice regarding perspective really makes my day. It is an amazing reminder to me, that we don't always get to choose what happens to us, but we have complete responsibility over how we handle ourselves. Thank-you Brendan.

Getting angry is too easy... Spread the LOVE! - Brendan Flaherty

Peace, Love and Patience,

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment