Monday, September 23, 2013

"BeMused" a poem by Jess Coffman

This painting which hung in my bathroom for years,
was painted by one of my favorite Laguna Beach artists, Karen Petty.



BeMused

I wait and wait...for a little bait,
To spark my mind and help me Create.
Though my Muse is being fickle today,
I think she gave up, and slipped away.

I can't really blame her for needing some space,
My spelling today, has been a disgrace.
And most of Her dreams, I write and erase.
Why wouldn't she go to a more thrilling place?

Maybe she flits in a genius's mind,
Or puts on a show, in the minds of the blind?
Perhaps she goes, where Muses go to unwind,
In the daydreams of children, with answers to find.

Maybe she's boldly spray-painting the Sun!
Or improvising dance moves never been done!
Or writing the silliest song ever sug!

And I know why she left...my dumb thoughts are no fun!

But in my next breath, I'm inspired instead,
When I realize, I too, was just out of my head!
With Insecurity gone and Inhibition Dead!
My Muse came right back, and here's what she said:

 "Sometimes," she chimed "You leave no room inside
for Creation, when fear is Oversupplied.
Restore Faith in yourself and I will provide
Inspiration and Ease as your Muse and your Guide."

And with such clear advice, I pick up my pen,
And wrote until fear, stopped my hand again.

JESS COFFMAN

 I wrote this poem last summer and re-imagined it this past week. I know I have spoke about my Muse before, but just for those who are unclear of what I am talking about, I will explain it again. This idea of a Muse was first introduced to me while watching a TED talk given by Elizabeth Gilbert, the writer of the world-wide best-selling book Eat, Pray, Love. Her TED talk was about creativity, and continuing to create after you have accomplished what might have been your most successful work in life. After her wild success, she went in search for a process that would help her continue to write and create without the unending pressure of having to write a masterpiece. What she has now adopted as her new process, is one that is inspired by the Ancient Greek's explanation of creativity. The Ancient Greeks believed that creation was only possible through connectivity to the spiritual world.

This resonated very strongly with me, because I have always felt that the inspiration for my songs come to me in a very mystical way, that I do not really have any control over. Elizabeth Gilbert now makes a time commitment to her writing, and also maintains a spiritual openness to be guided in her creative writing. It wasn't until after reading The War of Art written by Steven Pressfield, that I really adopted the idea of relying on a Muse, which is essentially my creative Guardian Angel. Before sitting down to write, I say a prayer to my Muse and ask for her to guide my writing. In this way, it is really her responsibility to provide the inspiration, and my job to be open and patient. It never takes long, I usually have an idea quickly. The thing that I like best of all about this process, is that it keeps me from judging the work that comes out of me in a given writing session. If I finish a poem and realize that I don't love it, it's really okay because it wasn't my idea in the first place. It also keeps me humble, because I can never fully take credit for the creation either. I hope this idea makes sense to you.

I know this method requires faith, but if you have ever had writer's block, you will try anything to get out of it. The next time it happens, I really recommend trying this method of the Muse.

Of course "BeMused" is explaining that exact process of self-doubt and being blocked, and how it is such a struggle even when you are trying to be faithful.

Good luck in all of your creative endeavors today! Please let me know if this method works for you!

All my Love,

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment