Wednesday, August 21, 2013

"A Sweet Petite Meet" a poem by Jess Coffman

Hello!

It has been so long since I have posted a poem! I have been on a wonderful adventure for the past month. Billy and I went to CA for my Mom's wedding, and a well overdue introduction of Billy to all of my family and friends. It was a fantastic trip, and then we took about a week in Philly before we moved to  NYC! Our apartment is awesome, but New York is a very high energy place that can kind-of suck the life out of you, until you adjust to it. This has caused me to be slightly blocked creatively, but the transition period of becoming a New Yorker is going well.

My creative block disintegrated unexpectedly yesterday when I was relaxing at a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on the Upper West Side. I was feeling quite successful about the fact that I was sneaking bites of my homemade peanut butter and honey sandwich without getting caught, and...I had just nailed an  audition:)  I was happily people watching, when I realized that I could not take my eyes off of this petite toddler girl and her family. She wasn't really a beautiful child, but she had an amazingly tranquil demeanor that was stunning. She was still acting like a toddler, curiously climbing on the chairs and checking everyone out, but she was so quiet. She only disrupted her Grandfather (Saba) and Father (Abba) every once in awhile for a hug. 

In joyful observance of this graceful child, I wrote this poem.

 A Sweet Petite Meet

Quiet little Ponytail,
Curious eyes of Caramel,
Pulls her Saba to her cheek,
His "Tiny Sprite," Her "Meek Antique.

 Sandals falling off her toes,
Cherubic kisses on his nose,
Little tickles, twist and tease,
His smile of Glee, Hers of...Cream Cheese.

JESS COFFMAN


No comments:

Post a Comment