Saturday, November 26, 2016

"Facing The Light," a poem by Jess Coffman

Shortened breath.
Bathed in green,
From sister trees,
and awakened heart.

Determined legs,
Crawl slow and steady,
Then leap ahead,
with childlike exuberance.

Fulfilled with visions,
of future adventures,
meeting my match,
And gifting our love.

With voices silent,
our ears transform,
hearing the ancient wisdom,
Unused in our bodies.

We're at our best here.
Explorers on mission,
burning and pressing,
into the soil untouched.

Our eyes expand,
Absorbing perspectives unknown.
As we climb and push,
past unclaimed beauty.

Suddenly, I'm stopped.
My feet sinking in mud.
I'm captivated,
Captured in Holy Light.

My chest expands.
My arms unlock,
Reaching as far apart
as their bodily limits.

With gratitude and surprise,
I'm calm and praying,
thanking my Creator,
Accepting my humanity.

my weakness.
my immense love.
my guarded heart.
my want.

I am renewed in this Light,
that calls to my soul,
commanding me to stop,
be silent,
be thankful.

"Be Love," it says.
"Struggle and Love.
All that matters is Hope.
Call for the Light."

He walks ahead.
I stay still with obedience.
Honoring myself,
my faith,
my path.

With full-body smile,
I'm connected
In truth.
In love,
In hope,
In respect,
In understanding.

Eyes open brightly,
illuminated in promise to
The Light through the trees.
The Life through the trees.

JESS COFFMAN


If you look closely, you can see me all the way on the other side of that fallen tree, in a pose of exuberant accomplishment. I was on a hike with the "he" in this poem, and we walked past this fallen tree, that was about 30 feet off of the ground, above a steady stream. The trunk was covered in moss and slightly wet, but I carefully crab walked all the way across, and "he" captured this moment of victory. I was much braver on the way back across, walking on all fours, so steadily, feeling my animal instincts kick in, to keep me safe and prevent me from falling. 


In the end it was a Thanksgiving afternoon to remember. We hiked all the way to the top of Gunsight Point, where this picture was taken, atop Mount Hood. 
The rocks we were on were a little under 3,000 feet high. 
It was a beautiful challenge, a opportunity to dream, an opportunity to be grateful for our humanity. 


Peace, Light and Adventure,

Your Jess



1 comment:

  1. The Betway mobile app at JTGHub
    The Betway app is 경주 출장마사지 the brainchild of British racing betting firm, Flutter Entertainment, and it's all 경상남도 출장마사지 here on the way 천안 출장샵 to the UK. 원주 출장안마 The mobile 여주 출장샵 app is a

    ReplyDelete