Monday, September 21, 2015

"Sobered" a poem by Jess Coffman

I did it. 
I busted my heart open.
Throbbing desperately aware.

And you watched the blood drip to the ground,
With a flattened, sterile stare.

And as you turned away from it,
Unconcerned and Uncouth.

I gathered what was left of it,
Sobered in a pool of truth,
And mourned my fleeing youth. 

JESS COFFMAN



Hey Friends,

So...this poem is pretty intense, right? I wrote it a few weeks back when I was downhearted and immensely disappointed. I was up on my roof admiring the setting summer sun and lavender sky, trying to calm my body down from shaking with anger. After chain smoking 4 cigarettes and completing 2 poems, this one included, I had an overwhelming sense of relief. The relief did not come from the cigarettes, which is an infrequent indulgence, I may add. The relief came from the realization that I can never regret the moments, when I open myself up to a passionate experience. Even though, sometimes it creates anger, frustration or sadness, and ultimately comes to an end, it usually inspires me to write. Inspiration is of the utmost importance to me, and love given is never lost. That is not to say that I haven't learned from the times in which, I wasn't wise about who I opened my heart to. I am still learning this. But, a man who becomes My Muse, and stirs me so much that it causes me to create, will never be forgotten. Those men who have done this, have tatooed my heart, and are part of the legacy of my most cherished creative work. After this poem was finished, I put on "House Of The Rising Sun," and danced freely on my roof. 

This poem is dedicated to all of the men who are tatooed on my heart, for better and for worse. The only vow I can make right now in my life, is keeping loving, gaining wisdom and writing about all of you mother-fuckers...till death do us part. 

Sobered, Cleansed and Open,

Your Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment