Sunday, August 30, 2015

"Divided" a poem by Jess Coffman

SHE

You know that overwhelmed, tightening in your heart you live for, at first glance of your approaching lover? 
I have an exacting feeling, a choking squeeze of emotional acid dripping into my stomach. The most potent essence of love burning as it leaks down, collecting in my gut. I lift destruction to my lips, inviting discoloration, tasting every repercussion of my foolish indelicacies.

(The dark leaves in full submission to the wind, 
push and pull against the lavender sky.)

ME

Dirty blues for a soiled soul,
The saxophone soothes the day's rumination, 
That I've once again 
Allowed the Human to coax the Being. 

Everything is strangely calm,
For a summer city night. 
It counters the heavy beat inside,
Revealing clearly that the division, is exclusively internal. 

Love it seems, a wheel of 
Purest hope unfailingly leading to unfulfilled expectations. 
A little is never enough. 
The Patience of my youth running out faster and faster with time. 

SHE

You know who is always silently waving? 
God, in the leaves. 
Disclosing forgotten promises of consistent love, communication and togetherness!

ME

All is known. 
Nature wise with experience of fire threatening existence. 
The ancient redwood, scorched and mangled, looks down on me with knowingness, 
Without judgment. 
She's been gifted a trunk for thousands to love against, and roots to outlast many who defiantly seek truth. 

I revere her and she allows me. 

JESS COFFMAN

The majestic and resilient 2,000 year old Ancient Redwood, thriving in 
Jack London State Historic Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment